Weather Forecast


Boys soccer: Irish tie with Farmington Tigers

Neither team scored during a game between the Irish and Farmington Tigers last week.

Coaches from both sides took away some positives from Thursday night’s season-opening 0-0 overtime tie between Rosemount and Farmington at Tiger Stadium.

Irish coach Mike Floersch was pleased that his team was able to create 16 shots on goal in its first game of the season.

“We feel like the players are learning quickly about how the game is played at the varsity level. Our touches and passes are fun to watch as we are able to move the ball around nicely,” he said.

Conversely, Farmington coach Julian Buss was happy to see his defense keep the Irish out of the net despite all those opportunities to score. First-year varsity goalkeeper Jake Agnew made 11 saves, including several acrobatic ones, in his first career shutout.

“We handled an indirect kick situation inside the 18 very well in addition to some good second clear opportunities, following Agnew saves, by our defense to keep Rosemount scoreless,” he said. “Rosemount is a good team to open with. They are a strong program that fields a competitive team. This was a good first test.”

The Tigers faced another challenging opponent on Saturday and came up just short in a 1-0 overtime loss at Section 1AA rival Lakeville North.

The Panthers finally put a goal on the board two minutes into overtime on a direct kick from inside the box. The curving shot tipped off Agnew’s outstretched hands and into the corner of the goal to hand the Tigers their first loss of the season.

“We played a great game against a tough opponent. It was a physical game with several caution cards issued for both teams. There was excellent play by all,” Buss said. “We have a strong team with a depth and versatility I don’t think Farmington has seen before.”

The Irish had better luck in their second outing of the season Friday night. They outshot Cloquet 19-2 and Kohl Sparrman knocked in his first two goals of the season in a 2-0 road victory.

“We came off an overtime game less than 24 hours earlier, it was hot and we had a long bus trip, but the boys came ready to play,” Floersch said. “We were strong in the air and we were getting a lot of chances.”

Goalkeeper Tanner Rons earned his second straight shutout, stopping both Cloquet shots.

The Irish (1-0-1) made their home debut against Minneapolis Roosevelt Tuesday at Irish Stadium and are back on the road tonight at Park of Cottage Grove. The Tigers (0-1-1) traveled to Lakeville South Tuesday and head to Rochester to face John Marshall tonight.