Weather Forecast


Girls soccer: Rosemount upsets Burnsville

n The Irish also lost to Lakeville North and beat Henry Sibley

By Matthew Steichen

Sports Editor

The Rosemount girls soccer team split its first two South Suburban Conference games against a pair of ranked teams last week, then got back in the win column against a section opponent on Saturday.

The Irish (5-2, 1-1) opened their league season by upsetting fifth-ranked (Class 2A) Burnsville 3-2 last Tuesday at Irish Stadium. It was the program's first win over a ranked team since it beat then No. 7 Burnsville in 2009.

Two days later, the Irish took to the turf field at Lakeville North and were shut out for the first time this season, 3-0, by the 10th-ranked (Class 2A) Panthers.

The team bounced back by blowing out Henry Sibley 5-1 Saturday at Dakota County Technical College.

"The girls showed their character and what this team is about by rebounding," Irish coach Kevin Adams said. "I have told the girls effort will not always produce the positive result we want, but we must have short memories and prepare for that next opponent."

Senior Maddie Phillips got the Irish on the board against Henry Sibley with a goal 14 minutes into the first half. Senior Mel Simonson followed with a goal on a pass from Hannah Halterman to make it 2-0 heading into halftime.

Henry Sibley responded with a goal of its own to make it 2-1 just after the break, but the Irish put the game away with three straight scores. Halterman assisted on goals by Kayle Hanson and Maris Knott, and Jana Elliott capped the scoring on a cross from Lauren Riley.

That offense was nowhere to be found Thursday at Lakeville North. The Irish entered averaging 22 shots per game and managed just five in the 3-0 setback.

"We seemed sluggish and just could not sustain consistent ball control and pressure," Adams said. "They had an answer for everything we tried."

Tuesday's signature win didn't get off to a promising start, either. The Irish trailed 2-0 late in the first half before rallying for the 3-2 triumph.

"To the credit of these girls, they did not lose confidence and concede the match," Adams said.

Halterman got the hosts on the board late in the first half when she redirected a cross from Allie Hawkins to make it 2-1. The goal built some momentum for the Irish, who tied the game just over two minutes later when Jenny Dean stole a pass from a Burnsville defender and maneuvered around the goalie for the tying tap-in.

Simonson supplied the go-ahead score at the 16-minute mark of the second half, with the assist going to Hanson.

The Irish resume their conference schedule this week with games against Apple Valley and Bloomington Jefferson.