Weather Forecast


Fan blamed for house fire

An old kitchen exhaust fan caused the fire that nearly destroyed a Rosemount home last week, said John Kendall Rosemount's Fire Marshall.

Marshall said he determined that the fire started in the kitchen exhaust fan and spread to the attic of the four-bedroom home. He said the fan, which was installed in the 1950s, likely when the house was built, had stalled and overheated, causing the fire.

Rosemount firefighters responded to the fire on Blaine Court shortly after 9 a.m. Aug. 24 after one of the homeowners called to report it. The homeowner escaped the home without any injury.

Kendall said most of the fire damage appears to have been to the attic of the home. An insurance adjuster will decide the fate of the house.

According to the Dakota County property records web site the house belongs to Lloyd and Cynthia Nelson. The four-bedroom home was built in 1954.

Emily Zimmer
Emily Zimmer has worked as a staff writer for the Rosemount Town Pages since 2007. She has a degree in journalism from Minnesota State University, Mankato. Outside of work, Emily enjoys running, reading and gardening. You can follow Emily's gardening adventures at the Areavoices blog East of Weedin'
(651) 460-6606