Weather Forecast


New laws take effect Jan. 1

Several new laws will go into effect Jan. 1. While most won't have a huge affect on Rosemount residents it is nice to know what's coming down the pipes. The following information came from the House of Representatives Public Information Services. For more information visit

Ban on sale of baby products with BPA

A new law bans Minnesota manufacturers from selling cups and bottles intended for use by children age 3 or younger that contain the chemical Bisphenol-A. The law also bans retailers from selling the items after Jan. 1, 2011.

Studies have found that BPA is a carcinogen and an endocrine disruptor. The product is widely used in products such as eyeglasses, sports helmets, toys and the lining of cans.

Restrictions on yard waste bags

While Dakota County already required compostable bags for yard waste, the rest of the metro will have to follow suit. Starting Jan. 1, yard waste bags must be certified as compostable by the American Society For Testing and Materials.

The manufacture or importation of a plastic bag into Minnesota for sale labeled in any way that it will biodegrade is prohibited unless the bag is certified as meeting a scientifically based standard for biodegradability.

A manufacturer, distributor or wholesaler who violates the law is subject to a $100 penalty for each prepackaged unit offered for sale up to a maximum of $5,000.

New fees for ATV trail passes

Non-state residents will have to purchase a non-resident ATV trail pass to use all-terrain vehicles on state or grant-in-aid trails in 2010. The $20 annual pass will be valid from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. Proceeds will be deposited into the Department of Natural Resources ATV account for operation of the electronic licensing system. A $1 per pass fee may be charged and retained by the issuing agent.

Also under the new law commercial horse-riding establishments can purchase annual horse trail passes, instead of daily passes. The fee will be $200 for 15 passes. Additional passes will be $20 a piece. To be valid the commercial annual pass must be signed by the owner of the trail riding facility.