Magnet, Kindergarten Plus enrollment starts soonApplications will be accepted through 4 p.m. Friday, Jan. 18, for enrollment in 2013-14 at the three elementary magnet schools in District 196 and the optional Kindergarten Plus program that is offered at all elementary schools in the district.
Applications will be accepted through 4 p.m. Friday, Jan. 18, for enrollment in 2013-14 at the three elementary magnet schools in District 196 and the optional Kindergarten Plus program that is offered at all elementary schools in the district.
Information on both programs was mailed to the parents of incoming kindergarten students. Magnet school and K-Plus applications are available at all elementary schools, the District Office and on the district website.
The following are important dates in the application timeline:
• Jan. 3 and 7: K-Plus/school choice information nights, 6:30-8 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 3 at Oak Ridge Elementary School in Eagan and Monday, Jan.7 at Southview Elementary School in Apple Valley
• Week of Jan. 7: Spotlight on Schools tours will be available by appointment at the 15 elementary schools and special one-hour tours will be given at the three magnet schools at 10 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 8 and Wednesday, January 9
• Jan. 18, 4 p.m.: Deadline to submit magnet school and K-Plus applications
• Week of Feb. 4: Parent notification of magnet school and K-Plus placements
• Feb. 27 and 28: Kindergarten registration
The district’s three elementary magnet schools are Cedar Park Elementary Science, Technology, Engineering and Math School in Apple Valley, Diamond Path Elementary School of International Studies in Apple Valley and Glacier Hills Elementary School of Arts and Science in Eagan. Any student in the district who will be in elementary school in 2013-14 can apply to any of the magnet schools. Enrollment is determined by lottery and is limited to space available at each school and grade level. Students in the district who are selected for enrollment receive transportation if they live more than one mile from their neighborhood school. For more information, go to District196.org/MagnetSchools.
K-Plus is an optional, fee-based, full-day program that complements the district’s half-day kindergarten program. Morning and afternoon sessions are taught by a licensed kindergarten teacher, resulting in a cohesive, all-day experience for students. For more information, go to District196.org/ kplus or call 651-423-7933.