Fire destroys Rosemount home early Tuesday
A Rosemount resident lost his Akron Avenue home to fire early Tuesday morning.
Louis Damiani credited his dog and a fire alarm for alerting him of the fire, said fire marshal John Kendall. Damiani was able to escape before flames engulfed the house. However, the dog that helped save his life has yet to be found and is feared dead.
The fire started sometime before 3 a.m. Tuesday at the home in the 12200 block of Akron Ave. While officials are still investigating, Kendall said it appears a wood burning stove may have been the cause.
Rosemount firefighters got the call just before 3 and assistant fire chief Jim Voelker said the home was fully engulfed by the time they arrived.
Voelker said firefighters made a defensive attack on the fire, concentrating on containing the flames from the outside rather than trying to get into the house.
"It was tough to get it out," Voelker said. "The fire was mostly out and contained fairly quickly. It's just, with all the smoldering and all that going on, we had to do a lot of standing by."
The home, on the north end of Rosemount, is not located near any fire hydrants and firefighters had to truck in water. Firefighters from Farmington, Inver Grove Heights and Eagan helped with the fire. Apple Valley firefighters stood by to answer any other calls in Rosemount.
The home is owned by Flint Hills Refinery.