Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Days Gone By (9/8/05)

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
Rosemount,Minnesota 55024 http://www.rosemounttownpages.com/sites/all/themes/rosemounttownpages_theme/images/social_default_image.png
Rosemount Town Pages
651-463-7730 customer support
Days Gone By (9/8/05)
Rosemount Minnesota P.O. Box 192 / 312 Oak St. 55024

10 YEARS AGO

SEPT. 7, 1995

Headline of the week: "Rinehart named state's top grocer."

Dick Rinehart, owner of Dick's IGA, has been named 1995 Grocer of the Year for his contributions to business and community. His career began in 43 years ago when he started as a clean-up person in the meat department of Nelson's IGA in Mequon when he was 13.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The Wildcat volleyball team won matches against New Richmond and Menomonie. Sophomore Amanda Obermueller and her strong net play was credited with helping win the games.

Lynne Gray and Krista Cleary opened Pearl's Kitchen in the Whole Earth Food Co-op with an all-vegetarian menu.

Trinity Episcopal Church announced special classes for those wondering "what those crazy Episcopalians believe," beginning in October.

SEPT. 5, 1985

Headline of the week: "UW-River Falls names News Bureau director."

Mark Kinders was named director of the News Bureau at UW-River Falls.

Agnes Johnson's winning name "Moundview Apartments" was selected as the name of the new supervised living center at 119 Union St.

Wisconsin DOT driving examiners were now working out of the Legion Hall on North Main Street rather than the City Council chambers downtown.

Marguerite Wall, 75, was honored with a party at the Kinnic Home. For 10 years she has written the Kinnic Home column detailing the "comings and goings and interesting activities" at the home for the River Falls Journal.

SEPT. 4, 1975

Headline of the week: "Child Care Center on UW-RF campus."

A daycare facility moved to the university in February 1974 from the Congregational Church, providing convenient, year-round child care for university members and anyone else interested. With an average enrollment of 25 the facility can handle 40 children between the ages two to seven. Under the direction of Kathy Secrist, the center is licensed by the state and is staffed with three teachers, a cook and a janitor.

New school district staff members included Patti Belfiori, Emily Testa, Tom Andrews and Lorraine Davis.

To be eligible for free milk and free meals at the River Falls schools a family of five could earn up to $7,190 per year. Families with unusual expenses due to unusually high medical costs, shelter costs in excess of 30% of income and special education expenses were urged to apply for assistance through the national programs.

Seventh-grader Mike Farley was one of few students who won the Presidential Physical Fitness Award three years in a row.

SEPT. 9, 1965

Headline of the week: "City tentatively approves 87 Fox-Cleasby lots."

The proposed building site being developed by Dick Fox and Elwood Cleasby located on the Joe Schultz farm northwest of the city limits, was tentatively approved. The lots vary in size with most being 100x200 feet running in a big "U" shape with the center not being plotted at this time. Entrances for the area are both located on County Road MM.

A large home at 315 N. Second St., with four bedrooms, linen closet, two living rooms, fireplace, built-in bookcase, oak floors, third-story attic space, and garage was available for $16,900.

River Falls Jaycees were improving all playground swings in the city by taking out about eight inches of dirt under each swing and replacing it with sand. Bill Herring was chairman of the project.

SEPT. 8, 1955

Headline of the week: "Merchants plan three tremendous Dollar Days next week."

Retailers were staging bargain days here with $75 in silver dollars given away. Also planned was a kiddie parade and a slow bike race.

David Guise and Bill Nicholson won first place in the Boy Scout annual canoe derby down the St. Croix River from Interstate Park to Marine on St. Croix.

Lyle Zastrow, owner of Zastrow Motors, announced he had secured the dealership for Mercury cars in this area.

Georgeann Younggren, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oliver Younggren had been named style queen at the Pierce County Fair.

SEPT. 6, 1945

Headline of the week: "New policeman hired Tuesday to patrol city."

Mayor Bartosh and the City Council decided to hire Francis Weishaar, as they deemed another policeman necessary to help curb drunken driving, traffic violations and nuisance driving, as well as drunkenness on the city streets. Officer Weishaar will cruise with his car and hand out instructive criticism on parking on Main Street. It was felt that since the city went to the expense of having streets lined for proper parking, cars should be parked properly, yet cars were being parked without any regard to the lines resulting in lost parking space on Saturday nights when parking is at a premium.

Approximately 2,000 people passed through the gate at Ramer Field to see the first-class horse show sponsored by the Moose Lodge. Dr. E. O. Kalk was in charge of the show with Eddie Gruber performing ringmaster duties.

SEPT. 5, 1935

Headline of the week: "City and College submit projects in sum of $35,000."

Taking advantage of the new federal relief setup, the city submitted a park project that would require $22,000 and would keep a crew of men busy for eight months. The plans include completing the swimming pool, extensive landscaping, changing of roads and other improvements which are needed and would make Glen Park one of the best in this part of the state.

The city also submitted a plan for 1,900 feet of water main, from the Congregational Church to Division Street, at a cost of $4,000. Practically all labor used on these projects would be from the relief lists.

It had been decided by the City Council to make East Walnut, East Elm and East Maple arterial highways as far as traffic on Second Street was concerned. This was to eliminate some of the danger of accidents at three bad intersections - the Methodist Church corner, the Central Lumber Company corner and the Eastman corner.

Mr. and Mrs. Herman Hagestad and son Marcus moved here from Starbuck, Minn. Mr. Hagestad intends to open a civil engineering office here in the near future. He is a graduate of the local high school and attended the Teachers College here, starring in athletics at both schools. He is well known to most and has a host of friends who will be glad to hear that he intends to live among his old acquaintances.

Advertisement
Pat Hunter
(715) 425-1561
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness